By Jenna Young
On Friday, February 10 Lori Merricks of Luckie & Co. spoke in the Principles of Public Relations class. I was able to gain insight about her career path, and with that I took away five key points:
1. Public Relations is not for writing press releases, it is not controllable, it is not event planning, it is not the adversary of the media. Public relations is not publicity, advertising, and most certainly not for bad writers.
2. Public Relations is about results, hits, and placements. It involves research. It is a conversation starter. It is about genuine human connections. A PR person is an expert in their clients industry.
3. Mass media used to be only newspaper, radio, and television. Now it is all about mass media.
4. In one year the percentage change in online audiences has increased 17.1%.
5. The top seven skills of modern PR are:
1. WRITING 2. LISTENING 3. FOCUS 4. DELIVERY 5. PITCHING 6. CREDIBILITY 7. MEASUREMENT