Andrea Walker has been a successful producer for three different news stations, a web designer and CEO all before the young age of 26. She is proof that with hard work and determination, you can do anything you want to do.
Walker began her company W Social Marketing, LLC in 2009. Her self-starting attitude got her where she is today, and she offered our PR class some important advice to help us reach our goals.
1. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You are not going to know how to do everything, so there is no shame in asking someone who knows more. They can bring fresh perspective and ideas that you never would have thought about.
2. Take initiative. Don’t wait for someone else to make something happen. If you want to learn to do something, be intentional about finding ways to learn and people to learn from. Read books. Go to seminars.
3. Entrepreneurship = Innovation. Owning your own business does not make you an entrepreneur. You have to take risks and try new things.
4. Always say thank you. Media is filled with thankless jobs. Whenever a coworker goes above and beyond in their job, thank them. Let them know you appreciate them.
5. Be innovative but not an idea hog. Share your ideas, but be sure not to alienate others. Listen to what they have to say also.