Kara Kennedy, director of external affairs at Samford University’s Brock School of Business visited our JMC 492 class last Friday. Kennedy shared helpful tips on building relationships for marketing campaigns as well as tips on building our brands.
Kennedy stressed the point, ” Hunt ducks where ducks are.” She explained that this statement meant targeting customers who are going to respond. She encouraged us to build relationships with these customers and recommended that we always work toward strengthening the relationships we have.
Here are some important points I gained from Kara Kennedy:
Go back to the basics:
- Conduct a SWOT Analysis.
- Be choosy about where to spend what little advertising dollars you may have.
- Have you reconnected with your constituency? (It’s all about relationships)
- Stay true to your mission.
- Tell the story to your constituents
Make sure you know how others see you:
- Be upfront.
- Be honest.
- Be Smart.
- Be innovative.
- Be factual (Never tell a lie).
Be very careful when your using the publics money to further your mission:
- Money is allotted to different places
- Tell your story every day
- Build a relationship with the media. They will get your voice out there.
- They are not always out to get you.
Relationships are built by engaging customers in conversations.