Stacey Hood is the unofficial Director of Marketing for the Stewart Perry Company. He shared that the Stewart Perry brand focuses on staying green while running a successful construction company in the Birmingham area. Cool as a cucumber, this Irish paddy with a Public relations degree from UAB gave a few tips to blooming PR students on how to flourish in the field.
- Stay on top of your brand. Constantly develop new content. Keeping your website fresh will entice an audience to come back and view it more often, and then more views you get the more publicity you’re getting as well, and with publicity comes popularity.
- If you don’t use it you will lose it so stay on top of your skills. Practice writing on a weekly (at least) basis. Blog blog blog (duh.)
- NETWORK. Meet, greet, and dazzle contacts from every walk of the PR life. This will again keep advancement opportunities readily available.Be willing to work any area on the PR spectrum. Openness and availability will allow for more advancement opportunities. Don’t shut doors on yourself.
- Keep updated in the PR world. Your own brand is your focus but don’t tune out others. Follow blogs, Twitter feeds, etc. that you’re interested in and learn from others. This will keep you at the top of the game.
- Be willing to work any area on the PR spectrum. Openness and availability will allow for more advancement opportunities. Don’t shut doors on yourself.