I feel that I learned a lot from the readings regarding Principles of Effective Writing. After reading through the text I soon realized that several things I thought was helping my writing was hurting it instead. The top 5 things I took away from this except were:
- Use short and simple words. Using bigger words won’t always benefit my writing. I just need to get my point across.
- Lead paragraphs contain answers. This is a great way to engage your reader. The better the question the more they will read.
- Don’t elaborate. In other words don’t “fluff” when you’re writing.
- One paragraph, one idea. When writing I have so many ideas I want to add and tend to lump them all together in one paragraph. This tip is simple and quite helpful.
- Use the pyramid power. The pyramid is a simple rule to follow (especially since I am a visual learner.) Begin with lead paragraphs, continue with the body paragraphs and then end with concluding paragraphs.