Our guest speaker, Lori Merricks, has had a “Luckie” experience. It was amazing to hear about her journey in the “PR world” at Luckie & Co… from an intern to now the Senior Account Supervisor. Lori was both motivational and entertaining–a true PR professional. She really allowed our class to visualize what working in the PR field looks like as well as inspire us to simply believe that we can do anything as long as we are willing to work for it!
5 things she discussed that really stood out to me and impacted my learning experience about PR were:
1. Always be knowledgeable about what is going on around you! Watch the news, and read. It can only help you!
2. Research is essential to the overall campaign. It will help you to simply know the atmosphere of what you are working with
3. PR is a dialogue, NOT a monologue!
4. Key influences of PR are the journalists, bloggers and customers
5. You want to always get “FREE coverage”. Use social media! It is free and creates a buzzzz!