You must write a caption for each of the photos shown here. Total of 13 photos that need captions.
The caption must consist of these elements:
- “Lead in”or tagline: (2-3 words of bold type) (Photos 1-9 can use the same lead-in or tagline)
- One sentence description of photo subject written in present tense.
- One sentence description of event written in past tense.
Here’s an example:
Nature’s Classroom — Local botanist Charles Rose explains how to distinguish species of trees by leaf patterns. He led a group of outdoor enthusiasts on a wildflower walk at Bull Skull Hollow last Tuesday.
Points: High School Journalism Workshop & Exodus Release Party 11 @ 8 points each. Captions for the other 2 photos are worth 12 points each because you must look up the information and synthesize it. Total of 112 points.
Captions must be written in complete sentences. Use correct grammar, spelling, and AP Style for dates, titles, abbreviations.
Type your captions on a Word document and print to turn in. Make sure to put your name on the paper.
Length: Minimum of 25 words, 100 word maximum for each caption. Use http://www.wordcounter.net/
I’ve noted general information about the overall event after the main header for the photo collection. Information about each specific photo in the space BEFORE the photo. I’ve separated photos and info by inserting lines.
Event: Samford High School Journalism Workshop
When: September 8, 2011
What: Attended by 300 area high school students and journalism / yearbook advisers
1. Who: JMC Department Chair Dr. Bernie Ankney & NBC-13 reporter Chris Pollone, keynote speaker
2. Welcome by JMC Department Chair Dr. Bernie Ankney
3. Ankney, introducing the schools in attendance.
4. Who: Kaitlyn McCulley, alumnus of Samford JMC, reporter, CBS-42
5. Who: Carla Jean Whitley
Managing Editor, Birmingham magazine
Topic: Magazine Journalism
6. Who: Dr. Dennis Jones, Samford JMC professor who teaches in the magazine track
Topic: Introduction to Newspaper Layout
7. Who: Marty Swant
Reporter, The Birmingham News
Topic: Intermediate Newspaper Reporting
8. Who: Dr. Jon Clemmensen
Samford JMC professor
Topic: Starting & Publishing a Literary Journal
9. Who: Donovan Harris
Samford JMC alum and member of JMC Advisory Council
Director of Design and Production at The Progress Farmer Magazine
Topic: Introduction to Magazine Design
Exodus Magazine Publication Party
April 30, 2014
Left: Erin Shaw, Design Assistant
Right: Anna Cox, Editor in Chief
Left: Staley McIlwain, Photo Editor
Right: Logan Heim, Editorial Assistant
Wendell Berry at Samford
12. Who: Wendall Berry
When: February 27, 2012
13. Shelby County Humane Society Shelter Partners Program
When: November 12, 2011
More info here: http://www.shelbyhumane.org/shelter-partners.php